- ManyBooks has interviewed me about my Jewels of Illumination Box Set! Want to learn more about me and the Jewels of Illumination series, check it out! And click here to check out ManyBooks’s promos!
- Check out this great review on my latest collaboration with Michael Evan, The Adventures of Max and the Captain! EG Stone wrote a great review! Check it out!
- Episode 82 of my Authors in Focus Podcast! Today, I chatted with romance author Dana Littlejohn! Listen to it now!
- I have finished the next reread of The Judging Eye, just doing some proofreading of it. Should be up in a few days.
Tag Archives: Jewels of Illumination
Weekly $5 Amazon Gift Card Giveaway!
- Check out my interview from Adam Gaffen!
- Who’s this bad mother fer? Let’s caption!
It’s Thursday! Captain and the Max is Finished!
Great day today.
I finished off Max and the Captain, soMichael is going to get that edited up. Stay tuned for ARC copies and it’ll also be an Audiobook!
Going to get more writing on Sands of Loss today. I’m so excited for this book. Got a new character in the group, leading to some great stuff!
What are you up to today?
- Author in Focus Podcast: Episode # is out of my podcast. Today I chatted with ! You have to check it out!
- Great Music: The 8 Bit Band is something I’ve been grooving to. They do big band covers of video game music! Check it out!
- Today’s quote: “The writer must wade into life as into the sea, but only up to the navel.” –Gustave Flaubert
- Look at this pic! Evocative, isn’t it! Let’s caption!
Good day! Happy Wednesday!
We made it to the middle of the week!
I’m almost done writing the ending of Max and the Captain! Will get that done tomorrow! I wrote some real surreal stuff (and, boy, is real surreal not terrible writing)?
How is your day going? Great? Awesome? Blegh?
The other week, I was reading a Japanese Light Novel called Mapping: The Trash-Tier Skill That Got Me Into a Top-Tier Party! That is a mouthful of a name, I know. It’s a weird trend in Japanese fiction. Anyways, most light novels are fluff. Power fantasy, strange ideas, comedies. If you watched Anime, a lot of them are based off light novels.
Anyways, this one wasn’t fluff. On the surface, sure. It has many of the hallmarks of those. The comedy. The fan service. But it also has a really great message.
In this world, people are born with 3 skill slots. This is what is called gamelit. The world works like it’s a video game though to the people in it, this is just how the world works. Everyone gets this skill slots and around 16. Some skills are rare than others and some take up more than 1 slot. They can make you an amazing swordsmen, an awesome mage, or the best carpenter around. They determine what you’ll be good at. Where you should focus your abilities.
But some are not seen as useful.
Our main character gets Mapping. It’s an Ultra-rare ability that takes up all three of his slots. All it does is let him have a map in his head in a 1 kilometer ring. He remembers the maps of every place he’s been. It’s not even the only skill like this. There are two others that are similar, one is even more useful, and they don’t take up all three skill slots.
Our main character dream of going on an adventure with the his childhood friend are dashed. How can he keep up with her when she got three god-tier abilities that have made her into the one of the best adventurers around.
He believes he has been dealt a flaw. That it’s worthless. And that is his mindsight. Six months later, his best friend can’t handle his negativity, his unwillingness to try. She tried to make it work, but he didn’t.
He fulfilled his own prophecy.
He falls into depression. Drink. He’s worthless. So he acts it. Then one day, a member of one of the best adventuring parties in the world shows up and says they need him.
That he has seen his ability the wrong way. His Mapping skill is what they need to conquer a dungeon. A feat no other group has managed.
With a change of his mindset, our main character takes what he saw as a negative into a positive. He changed how he viewed it. No longer a victim of circumstance, he is making his own fate. It transforms him. He won’t be a powerful fighter, a grand mage, or an inspiring priest, but that doesn’t mean he has no value.
It’s a beautiful idea, isn’t it? We make our own luck. Our own fate. We fulfill our own prophecies. Believe you’ll fail. You will.
- Quote of the day: “If the writer were more like a reader, he’d be a reader, not a writer. It’s as uncomplicated as that.” –Julian Barnes
- Here’s a great article on building an audience as a writer!
- Never too late to enter in the weekly $5 Amazon Gift Card! Click here to enter! No purchase necessary!
- Let’s caption an awesome pic!
Tuesday Round Up! Podcasts and More!
Good Tuesday to you all!
I’ve started writing the second half of Max and the Captain, the series of books I’m cowriting with Michael Evan! It’s been an interesting experience.
I’m chipping away at Sands of Loss (Shadow of the Dragons Book 4). I’m into Chapter 3. Getting about 3000 words a day. It’s going to be amazing!
What awesome things are you up to?
- Episode 78 of my Authors in Focus Podcast is out! Check out my conversation with Holly Bargo! You have to give this a listen!
- I’m nearly done with the next chapter of The Judging Eye Reread. Everyone is running in terror from the Wight-in-the-Mountain!
- Want to win a $5 Amazon Gift Card, click here!
- Let’s play a fun game! What is your fantasy villain title! I’m The Red Prince of the Seas!
Good Monday Afternoon & $5 Gift Card Weekly Giveaway!
Good Monday Afternoon!
I know, I know, it’s Monday! It’s a rainy, miserable day here in Tacoma. Hope it’s better where you are!
I have settled on a title for Shadows of the Dragons 4: The Sands of Loss! I think it has a nice ring to it!
I’m into Chapter 3 on writing it! I think it’s going to be a great novel!
I finished reading Full Metal Panic 10. I’ve been a fan of the series for 15 or so years, and it’s been great to read the source novels translated into English. 10 was a gut punch. Major character death, the origins of everything that’s been going on explained, and when the bad explained his goals, I got it. I really got why he’s doing it. That’s a great villain. I could almost root for him, but our hero’s refutation of it was better.
What are you doing today?
Cool things that happened!
- I broke my website but now it’s fixed after chatting with GoDaddy!
- I was interviewed by Adam Gaffen! Check it out as his blog!
- Weekly Giveaway! To win a chance at a $5 Amazon Gift Card, comment below with your favorite Fantasy Novel! Contest closes on Sunday, March 1st!
- Let’s caption this picture!